ISO 9001:2015 QMS - QUALITY OBJECTIVES AND PLANNING TO ACHIEVE THEM
As per the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 QMS standard, the organization is required to establish (set up, install or create) quality objectives at relevant functions, levels and processes, and such objectives must consider applicable requirements and must also be: (i) consistent with the quality policy, (ii) measurable, (iii) relevant to conformity of products and services, (iv) relevant to the enhancement of customer satisfaction, (v) monitored, (vi) communicated, and (vii) updated, as appropriate. The organization is also required to retain documented information on quality objectives.
As per requirements of ISO 9001:2015 QMS standard, to achieve the quality objectives, the organization is required to determine:
- ways, procedures or processes,
- resources needed,
- responsible personnel,
- completion time,
- ways, procedures or processes to evaluate results.
Quality objectives are the basis of improvement and growth of the organization. Quality objectives must be in line with the quality policy of the organization. These should be measurable, so that organization's performance can be evaluated. The quality objectives must be appropriate or closely connected to conformity of products and services and also to the customer satisfaction enhancement. The organization must observe and check the progress of quality objectives over a period of time. There must be a systematic review of quality objectives and updated, as appropriate. Quality objectives must be communicated within the organization, so that the responsible personnel can take appropriate actions. It would be better if SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-bound) quality objectives are set and regularly monitored. An organization can define in process monitoring and output measures.
In this regard, following action plan can be useful:
- Establish quality objectives at relevant functions, levels and processes
- Ensure that quality objectives are consistent with quality policy, measurable and relevant to conformity of products and services as well as to the customer satisfaction
- Determine ways, procedures or processes to achieve the quality objectives, resource needs, responsible personnel, completion time and procedures to evaluate results
- Communicate within the organization established quality objectives, monitoring and evaluating methods
- Update, as appropriate, quality objectives from time to time
- Monitor and evaluate quality objectives as per determined procedure
- Keshav Ram Singhal